HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: We recently attended public open houses hosted by the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) to get public feedback on the upcoming I-285 development projects. Here are key takeaways:
- The Top End I-285 Express Lanes Project is expected to cost close to $5 billion and is part of the $11 billion statewide “major mobility investment program
- Project includes express lanes in each direction along 18 miles of I-285 south of Paces Ferry Road to Henderson Road, and 3.5 miles of SR 400 from Glenridge Connector to North Springs MARTA Station. Additionally, the project would tie in to I-75 and I-85 on the Top End
- NO transit included in any current plans
|For such a major project that impacts Cobb and the rest of the region, there is NO plan for mass transit along the express lanes. There is NO plan for BRT infrastructure. They are basically building more lanes for more cars! This isn’t going to solve traffic problems along the Top End which GDOT says is “one of the most heavily-traveled and congested interstate highways in America, with more than 240,000 vehicles traveling across it each workday.” We need more efficient, affordable, reliable transit to move people around Atlanta.|
MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD! We need your help to advocate for more transit in this major project. The option most likely to be considered is BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) which is basically “rail on wheels.” We spoke with GDOT reps and were told they will read and evaluate all comments submitted. So let’s make our voices heard and ask for more transit!
- You can keep your comment short like: Please add BRT to the I-285 Top End Express Lanes Project. This will be beneficial to more people and help relieve some of our traffic congestion.
- You must register on the GDOT site in order to make a comment.
- You do not have to have attended any of the open houses to comment. All comments by people in the areas surrounding these projects are welcomed.
- Deadline for submitting comments is Tuesday, February 25.
- Here’s the link to submit YOUR comment: https://scout-gdot.hntbatl.com/MMIP/I-285_Top_End_Advanced_Improvement_Projects/I-285_Top_End_Advanced_Improvement_Projects
From all of us at Cobb 4 Transit, THANK YOU!!